Preheat oven to 425 degrees F
OR: SPINACH Lasagna, which is a simpler version. You can do it meatless or mix a bit of meat (burger or sausage, cooked) and spinach** To make, follow directions but mix the meat with spinach, and put them together in the bowl in step #2.
1 large eggplant (abt 1 lb)
1 pkg. (10 oz) frozen, chopped spinach: thawed, squeezed dry
15 oz. part-skim ricotta cheese
1 lg. egg, lightly beaten
1 1/2 oz. Parmesan cheese, finely grated (abt. 1/2 c)
1 1/2 c. marinara sauce
No-boil lasagna noodles
1 c. shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese.
1) Preheat oven to 425 F. Line large cookie sheet with aluminum foil, coat with non-stick cooking spray. Trim the eggplant ends, cut into lengthwise planks, abt 1/2 in thick. Place on cookie sheet and sprinkle with salt and pepper. When oven is at temp, roast eggplant abt 12 min. or until softened and a trifle golden. COOL.
2) In a bowl, mix all the spinach, all the ricotta, the egg, all the Parm cheese and 1/4 tsp black pepper.
3) Spread 1/2 cup of marinara sauce in the 9 x 5 pan. Top with a layer of noodles, breaking to fit, if nec. Spread half of the spinach-ricotta mixture from step 2 over noodles. Sprinkle with 1/3 of the amt of mozzarella, top this with half of the eggplant amt, overlapping to fit.
Repeat: 1/2 cup of marinara sauce, noodles, spinach-ricotta mixture, less than 1/3 of the amt of mozzarella-reserving some mozzarella for later - and the remainder of eggplant.
Top eggplant with 1/4 c. marinara sauce, top with noodles, and any remaining sauce.
4) Cover pan with foil, place on cookie sheet and bake for 30 minutes.
5) Uncover, and top with REMAINING mozzarella. Put in oven and bake for 15 minutes or until bubbling and golden brown.
6) Let stand 10 minutes.